Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Food, Glorious Food!

I know it's  cliche' to make New Year's resolutions regarding food and exercise, but I don't care.  I welcomed it. I knew I was on a slippery slope and by the time January 1st rolled around I felt like I was so ready for a change. I don't think eating sugary foods for every meal can be a good thing. That was the day I said, "No more!" I had pushed myself to the edge. I had abused my relationship with food. I had cheapened it and lost respect for it. I was eating without thinking of the consequences. So, the first thing that I decided to do was a sugar detox. Nothing too scientific or regimented, just eliminate the desserts and candy...just for a day...and then for another day...and another...it wasn't even that hard to do. It felt great in fact. It boosted my confidence about other changes to come. I decided to get back to my Weight Watcher's way of eating and cooking. I joined Weight Watchers 4 years ago on January 16. I lost 20 lbs. and it felt great. (Yes, past tense...I got distracted by life and some of it came back...but I am still a believer.) I pulled out my WW stuff last week and got back to eating the way that I know is right and I feel more in control. My refrigerator went through a makeover, too. I cleaned it out to give it a fresh start. Food and I are starting to work things out. I feel like we're getting back in the groove and I'm loving it all over again, with greater respect for what kind I choose to associate with and put into my body.


Let me introduce you to some of my new (old) friends...
Photobucket
From top to bottom, L to R: (hiding on the top row) Better Than Bouillon, Trader Joe's Natural Peanut Butter, Light Coconut Milk, brown mushrooms, lemon (love 'em!), ginger, leftover yummies, spinach, leftover Thai  chicken wrap filling**(recipe below), peanut sauce in the back**, chicken apple curry sauce that goes over rice. Some people don't eat leftovers. I am not one of them. I recycle them into something new and improved. Some of my kids see through this attempt at serving the same thing two nights in a row. Too bad. 


Other things I have on hand: the bacon bits in a bag from Costco (so versatile...and a little goes a long way), cheese (I would rather use less real cheese and real butter than fat free or light), tomatoes, cilantro, lime, cucumbers, and beans among other things.


So now when I open my refrigerator, instead of standing there and staring and wondering, "What (yawn...) am I (yaaaawwwwn) going to fix for dinner??" I smile and say,  "Oh, I can't wait to have you for dinner!" Fruits and vegetables have moved back home.  My food world has color once again and I am so dang happy about it.  I want you to feel what I'm feeling so I'm going to give you two recipes that you can get excited about and try. If you're not a big ethnic food person...change...and I mean right now. I'm not kidding. By the way, a taco from Taco Bell is NOT an ethnic food. There are so many good flavors out there just waiting for you to embrace them. 
Photobucket
These recipes both have a Thai theme. Use the leftover peanut sauce on the wraps the next day. We had them both this week. The first one is from the Weight Watchers All-Time Favorites cook book (I saw this book at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. Would have bought it if I didn't already have it).


Thai Chicken Satay
(serves 6, normal portions)


Chicken marinade:

  • 3 T. Asain fish sauce** 
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 T. grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tsp. grated lime zest
  • 1 T plus 1 tsp. lime juice
  • 2 1/2 lbs chicken (cut into strips that you can either broil in oven or BBQ on skewers)

**(now don't you say, "Eww!" to the fish sauce...give it a chance.  It's a seasoning, just like soy sauce)



Directions: Place marinade ingredients in a large zip lock bag, mix, then add chicken and refrigerate from 1-6 hours, turning bag occasionally. If I had skewers I'd BBQ them as my first choice. You can also broil the whole breasts and then cut them up. Cook 6-8 minutes or until they look done, turning once.


Peanut Sauce
(serving size: 2 T)


Whisk together until smooth:

  • 3/4 c. light coconut milk
  • 6 T. creamy peanut butter
  • 2 1/2 T. honey 
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 T. fish sauce
  • 2 T. lime juice
  • 2 tsp. lime zest



(I like to heat the sauce up in the microwave before I serve it)


Serve with rice and asian salad. For salad try Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame dressing on lettuce greens with orange slices, sliced almonds, cucumbers, green onions and tomatoes. So de-lish.


***********************************************
This next one I found on the internet.


Thai Chicken Wrap
recipe courtesy Rachel Ray on FoodNetwork.com
makes 4 BIG wraps
(I used leftover lean pork chops from the night before instead of chicken)


Ingredients:

  • 3 (6 ounce) chicken breasts
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • 1 T. vegetable oil
  • 1 T. grill seasoning (whatever you want)

(I would just throw this in the crock pot in the a.m.)


Salad:

  • 1/2 seedless cucumber, halved and sliced thinly
  • 2 c. fresh bean sprouts
  • 1 c. shredded carrots
  • 4 green onions, sliced in thin slices
  • 12 fresh basil leaves (This is what go me excited!!)
  • 3 T. chopped mint leaves (This just added to it!)
  • 1 T. sesame seeds



mix and pour over salad:

  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 2 T. rice vinegar or regular white vinegar
  • salt



Her spicy peanut sauce(did not try)besides, I love coconut milk instead of the oil:

  • 1/4 c. room temp chunky peanut butter
  • 2 T. soy sauce
  • 1 T. rice wine vinegar or regular vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 T. vegetable oil



Add cut up or pulled apart chicken to salad and divide into 4 servings on 4 (12-inch) tortilla wraps.
Pour 2 T. of leftover peanut sauce from night before on each wrap and then roll it up. 
I used Clay Oven Baked whole wheat Lavash Bread, cut in half instead of the tortillas. I found them at Trader Joe's. They tasted lighter to me than a tortilla.


So, there you have it. These recipes are tried and true. I hope they add a little zip to your dinner menus.
Bon Appetit and Enjoy!





4 comments:

  1. Yes! I want that to be my fridge! Please divulge where you find better than bullion. Mine has run out, and I can't remember or relocate where I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy the 16 oz. size at Costco, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm sounds so yummy! Where are the pictures of the final meal? I wish my fridge was that clean!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!