Thursday, January 28, 2010

Light Alfredo Sauce: A recipe for a rainy day



What to serve with chicken that I cooked in my crockpot? I found this recipe for a Light Alfredo Sauce yesterday on sparkpeople.com (they include nutritional information, still checking it all out, but it looks interesting), a new website that I happened upon in my search. It got good reviews. It is a little thinner than more caloric recipes, but the flavor was still good. I followed the advice of one review and let it sit for a bit to thicken it up. I added a cup of uncooked spinach as a bed for the whole wheat pasta, chicken, mushrooms and alfredo sauce.
Photobucket




Light Alfredo Sauce 




Ingredients

    1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 4 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups skim milk 1 cup chicken broth 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese




Directions

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown.


In a small saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into garlic. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick. Stir in Parmesan cheese.


Number of Servings: 8 - (1/3) cup servings or 6 (1/2) cup servings





And the finished product
Photobucket
This got great reviews from both Ben and Emma, which is saying a lot. Ben wanted seconds and Emma readily ate pasta and told me that she really liked it and that she liked it better than the red sauce. They skipped the spinach and the mushrooms, but either way, it's a winner.

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really yummy! And the food styling is great too - I love a good food stylist! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!