Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's not easy being green.

Sometimes I just get a food craving, and absolutely  must satisfy it. I know what you're thinking and most of the time it's not chocolate.This time of year it's often times citrus. But, lately I've also been craving this delicious, but maybe not so beautiful soup that I can quickly whip up in my Vita-Mix™ blender (I love this machine!). I am the only one in my family who will eat this soup(their loss is my gain). The rest of them complain about the foamy-ness.(It does eventually go away) I also don't think they can get past the color. I admit, it is VERY green. But to me it says: LIFE. I like when food is vibrant. It also means that it wasn't sitting on the stove f.o.r.e.v.e.r and looking like you just pureed a can of peas! A mere 3-4 minutes in my blender and that's it. I think you can duplicate this on the stovetop if you put everything in a regular blender or food processor and then heat it on the stove, if needed. I don't know. Try it and let me know. Even though I had some just yesterday, I still want it again to day. Off to make some for lunch.


Photobucket

Cream of Spinach Soup 
(2 servings)


1 cup spinach( I usually pack in more)
1 med tomato
1 thin slice onion or 4 green onions
1 rib celery (o.k. to skip)
1 chicken bouillon (I love Better Than Bouillon™ paste)
1 T. cornstarch
1 cup steaming skim or lowfat milk
1/4 cup swiss or cheddar cheese
**garnish with a little dollop of sour cream


Here's the bonus: 1 cup only has 125 calories.


(note: Costco sells a big jar of Better Than Bouillon™
Once you start using it, you'll need a big jar. It is the best.)


Go Green and try this soup. Hope you like it.

1 comment:

I love your comments!