Monday, January 17, 2011

Hello?? What?!

        It's been nearly 6 months since I last blogged. I have wanted to many times. In fact, I've been in the middle of something and thought to myself, "This would make a good blog post." and that's as far as it got. I have missed blogging. A big part of my blogging is photos and that's really where I place the majority of the blame for the huge blogging gap. My camera and I kind of had a falling out. Totally my doing. My camera is not to blame.
       My camera and I go way back. We have spent a lot of time together over the years. In fact we've spent so much time together that people question when I show up to an event and don't have my camera with me. We've taken vacations, gone on lunch dates,  gone to weddings and funerals, birthday parties, concerts,  hospitals, schools, hikes, walks, cooked together (it mostly watched), visited family, spent holidays together, even hung out when there was nothing in particular to do. Then,  slowly I started spending less time with my camera. I started spending more time with school and homework. Even when I could bring my camera long, I started leaving it at home. I thought I didn't have time. I needed a little separation. It was a welcome break at first, but it's influence lingered. I  found myself seeing the world through my camera even when it wasn't around and I started to miss it. Oh, we've still gotten together for special occasions and  like the unselfish, loyal tree in The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, my camera is always there for me when I decide to turn my attention it's way. I've spent a little time going over some of the good times we've had together and I realized that we were a pretty good team. So, I'm slowly making my way back. We are rediscovering each other and I realize that I can't stay away too long. 

Some of the things I like about my camera (in no particular order):

#1- I'm so familiar with it, but there are still things to learn about it.
#2-It helps me remember.
#3-It helps me focus on the simple things that I love.
#4- It helps me see things that I might have missed without it's company
#5-It doesn't mind playing second fiddle to my creativity and letting me get all the credit.
#6- It's low maintenance.
#7- It's dependable.

A few of the things my camera helped me remember in December:


Watched Poston's Da Capo sing at the Visitor's Center. Adam did great on his solo.

The temple behind a packed audience. After Adam's solo, I ran over to Mountain View High School...

for Emma's school's Winter Sing Concert. I love how random the kid's expressions are.

Emma's gift to Ben was the first gift under the tree. She wanted to get on it as soon as we drew names.

We made this cute wreath with the Activity Day Girls at church. Emma used hers to keep her "To Do" list.

This reminds me of why they say Christmas is for children. Emma looked around our house and made this Nativity for a teacher at school. I love the improvised Wise Men, Mary, Joseph, the baby Jesus, and the Shepherds, but the Sheep might be my favorite. Emma showed me that it doesn't take money to be thoughtful.

We sold our Suburban just before Christmas and bought my parent's Camry. I shed a few tears as I drove it to it's new owners. I miss the size, but not the gas $$. It served our family well for 10 years. *sniff*

Want to remember how cute Annie looked in front of the tree.


This is for my creative friend, Megan. I won the LOVE image on one of her blog giveaways and made this print on canvas out of it and love it. Thank you, Megan.

I love the cozy feel of my our house at Christmas.

Three Wise Men from Pre-school days and a candle topper that I don't put on a candle.
 Also, my cute parents on their wedding day.

Many of our  Christmas decorations remind me of people I associate with them. Angel: Lois, who made it. Ragedy Santa: Janet Turk, who gave it to us one year and one of my first nativities that I got through my good friend, Lynn.

This snowman is one of a pair and I love pulling them out every year.

I really appreciate the cards and greetings we receive every year, especially when we have been horrible about reciprocating. Thank you for sticking with us. We are grateful for your friendship.  Your cards and photos hang on the wall separating the living room from the family room so we can look at them often.

I love this simple nativity.

I also love these stockings made by my talented friend, Lois. I also love that they make me think of her every time I look at them. The family tree is a new addition. We are the branch that veers off to the right on the top. It follows Brian's mom's line going back to William Ridley, who was born in England in 1732.

This Yule Goat sits on our computer cabinet and reminds me of my Swedish roots.


This is one of the few things that stays up year round. Thank you, Tracy, for being so thoughtful. A Swedish star light for my 40th birthday.

This wall makes me happy. A project that I did with my father-in-law over a  year ago.
When I look at this photo I am grateful for Jim (the wall), Barb (the sewing machine) and my parents (the couch-their first couch). Part of the wall came from my friend, Diane's garage and the idea for it's design from her house, so thank you Diane M. for your contribution.

Found this cute sign last summer while visiting my brother and his family in CA.

This was from Bill and Rhonda, but it represents the kindness shown to us by so many of our wonderful, thoughtful friends and neighbors. We're so blessed.

Christmas has meant caramels for the past 25 years thanks to the best missionary companion a missionary could've asked for. Annette's friendship is one of the gifts my mission gave to me.

Swedish meatballs and cinnamon rolls come out of this loved little cookbook that I got from my Aunt Kerstin many years ago.


Even though the "season" is over, I hope to keep the spirit of Christmas with me throughout the year until it's time to climb up into the attic and pull down the decorations again. I am happy to reconnect with my camera AND my blog...and I plan on not being such a stranger, no matter what else I've got going.

Happy New Year!

(I am giving myself permission to do one more Christmas post before January is over.)





6 comments:

  1. I love seeing peoples' homes with their Christmas decorations up and hearing about what's special to them and why, as well as getting a peek at some of their traditions! Thanks for sharing. Also, I had to giggle when I saw my parents' card on the wall. Every time I even think of it I giggle. Best card ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very nice blog. Mom was sitting at her computer and I at mine reading it at the same time listening to each others comments like "wow, neat, nice, isn't Adam cute etc.".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that I can be a part of your Charistmas each Year...Making carmles for you and your family is a pleasure for me! Your friendship is a everlasting gift.
    THANK YOU FRIEND

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog Maria -- I have missed it!! Thanks for sharing all the Xmas pics from your home....I love your home, especially @ Christmas! It has been too long since we were there for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we'll be watching for your next post! In fact, give us another heads up on FB. Your house looked so cute for the holidays and next time I'll make sure I drop in for a little taste of your Christmas spirit. Take care of yourself during this time of a busy school life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness Gracious Maria! What a wonderful, wonderful blog post! I was sad when it was over - I could have continued reading it for hours! I smiled through the entire post, looking at all your amazing photos and reading your descriptions that you always write so well.

    I have SOOO missed your blog and your camera! I can't even TELL you how much I've missed it! Things always happen for a reason, and perhaps you needed to separate yourselves so you could realize how much you missed each other and how it's such a part of you. All I can say is I'm SOOO happy you're making your way back :)

    I know I'm always way too long-winded, but I just have to tell you how much I love your house at Christmas time. It looks so festive and friendly! And all the little vignettes you photographed just touched my heart because they are all so YOU. I think Emma's nativity was my all time favorite - it was just precious :) I love how the LOVE canvas turned out!!! All your meaningful little touches, and family photos... and that awesome WALL! I love the stockings your friend made too - I could look at those all day! Well done Maria my friend :)

    Don't stay away too long!
    With Love,
    Megan xoxoxo
    P.S. sorry about the Suburban... I miss mine too :(
    P.P.S. A YULE GOAT??? SERIOUSLY???

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!