Friday, July 10, 2009

Simon's surgery.

When Simon was born, I noticed that he had a little lump at the top of his little bum. It turned out that his spinal cord was tethered to this fatty tumor. When he was 9 months old his cord was untethered by the famed,bow-tie wearing, pediatric neurosurgeon, Dr. Peacock. Simon and I spent 5 days at UCLA Medical Center after the surgery. It all went well. There was a good chance that he would need the surgery again with the formation of scar tissue and the cord retethering. Well, that time has come. Simon came home from a 2 week school trip to Austria on Monday night and Tuesday morning we headed over to Phoenix Children's Hospital to repeat the surgery that was performed nearly 17 years ago, this time under the skilled hands of Dr. Manwaring. Dr.'s are kind of like super heroes and I think it would be perfectly acceptable for them to wear a cape as part of their every day apparel. Amazing what they can do. The surgery had it's risks, but thankfully it went as well as we had hoped it would. Dr. Manwaring told us that when he cut away the scar tissue that Simon's cord slid up where it should be. I can almost hear his spinal cord saying, "Ahhhhh...relief." I also learned that the nerves that dangle at the end of our spinal cord look kind of like cooked angel hair pasta, according to Dr. W. I was picturing something much skinnier. I'm glad he had something bigger to work with. No time for jet lag for Simon.

Photobucket
He has been in the PICU since Tuesday afternoon, either flat on his back or flat on his side. He kind of reminds me of a children's book called, "Flat Stanley". I can't imagine not getting up out of bed for nearly 4 days. His catheter came out tonight. His I.V. this morning. He has a tube that allows the spinal fluid to drain that will come out tomorrow and then he'll be able to get out of bed. I will be surprised if he comes home tomorrow, but he may. More likely on Sunday. I know he has really appreciated his friend's visits and well wishes.

Photobucket
Thanks Tanner, Jackson and Jeff for stopping by.

I'm excited for him to recover fully and enjoy increased mobility and decreased pain. But before that happens I might have to challenge him to a game of Ninja. It will be my only chance of beating him.

Photobucket
"E.T., phone home..."
I appreciate my parents coming and helping out while Brian and the other boys were gone at the beginning of the week. Could not have done it without them.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you documented this. :D I hope he gets feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're glad all went well, speedy recovery to Simon!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!