Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer means Scorpions

The other night I was turning all the lights off in the house and closing up shop for the night. When I got to the kitchen I saw a shadow in my sink and I knew immediately that I had a little visitor...I turned the light on and there he was...a scorpion. He had no where to go. He was trapped. That's how I like them. I feel braver when this is the case. I only spent a couple of seconds wondering how he got there, but when I pictured him crawling across my counter, that creeped me out, so I immediately put that out of my mind and enjoyed the fact that he was no longer free to roam the premises. (Sometimes, I have been known to have dishes in my sink at the end of the day. I am so glad that this wasn't the case this night.)

This is how I found him (or her)
Photobucket
It helps to have a tool (or weapon) when dealing with these little critters. 
Possible tools: A magazine, the spine of a book, a cup, the heel of a shoe, a spatula, or in this case a plastic ruler, a pair of scissors and the garbage disposal. 

Now I'm going to apologize ahead of time, because I feel a little bad about the next part. I got Ben to help me. I would like to think this next part was his idea, but it may have been mine. We used the ruler to trap his tail and then we used the scissors to "trim" some of his pieces.

Photobucket

The scorpion and his trimmings.
Photobucket

At this point, I was feeling a bit guilty, so we put him down the garbage disposal and ended it quickly. One thing I admire about scorpions...the only thing I admire...is that they do NOT give up easily. You've got to hand it to them for that. But, they're just too creepy for me to have any real, warm, fuzzy feelings for them in the end.



5 comments:

  1. I can see you and Ben in front of me. They seem to come from nowhere. I will never forget when we had one crawling on our bedroom wall. That awoke mom's killer instinct ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Maria! You're Vicious!! haha
    I hate those things!!
    I have a hard time just looking at a picture of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick. You're sick for taking pictures of it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWW!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ekks! I think I would rather have mice... I had the opportunity to kill one the other day with a broom after it ran under the rug and I couldn't bring myself to do it... It got caught in a trap later that night.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!