Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ella: 4 1/2 year old wonder

This is Ella:
Photobucket

In some ways I feel like Ella has been 4 1/2 forever. She's my brother's daughter and she lives in California with her mom and dad and her two older sisters, Hannah and Emily. There is almost 7 years between Ella and Hannah. I just can't imagine their family without her. We just spent a week with them. It was my pleasure to read to Ella most nights. I got to hear her say her prayers, which were precious. "Heavenly Father, I'm glad that Maria and the cousins could visit us and that we get to spend so much time together." We also got to have little conversations that revealed what was on her mind:

Ella (looking at my wedding rings): "You have three rings??"
Me: "Yes."
Ella: "Does Brian have a ring?"
Me: "Yes, he does."
Ella: "My dad doesn't have a ring." (I had cut my brother's ring off a while back because it was bothering his finger and he has not replaced it yet.)
Me: "Do you wish your dad had a ring?"
Ella: " Yes, because then he would look like a real Papa."... (then reconsidering)" Well, he always looks like a real papa."

This was the second time during our stay that she had brought this up, so I think it was on her mind. I told my brother he better replace his ring. :-) You never know what children notice.

I slept very comfortably on the couch in the living room and in the morning I sensed someone watching me. It was Ella, peeking her head over the back of the couch to see if I was awake. I love the way she sucks her thumb. She sucks her left thumb and pinches her right arm with the index finger and middle finger of her left hand just below the elbow . This causes her right arm to be held out in front of her at a slight angle. It is very involved, but she makes it look easy. My brother, being a huge Elvis fan, taught Ella to sing "All Shook Up" and Michael Jackson's "Heal the World". I wish I had those on video. Maybe next time. I love how she looks me straight in the eye when she sings them. No inhibition. She reminds me of her big sister, Emily, in that way. I also can't believe how "go with the flow" Ella is. Maybe that's what happens when there is such a gap between siblings. Another thing...she has the cutest legs ever. I just pretty much want to gobble them up every time I see them. You will see them in upcoming posts as they are a favorite photo subject for me. Here are a few shots of Ella from our most recent visit...

Photobucket
I liked this one in color and B/W, so I'm putting them both.

Photobucket

These are her new favorite shoes, attached to my favorite little legs, of course!
Photobucket

Typical look for Ella and just a small hint of how expressive she is.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Is it any wonder why I'm so smitten?

4 comments:

  1. I love pictures of wet kids fresh out of the pool. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, yes I think I need to get my ring fixed. I'm tired of looking like I'm single!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella is totally edible - no wonder you want to gobble her up every time you see her! LOL! :)

    Megan xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture it TO DIE FOR! Wow! And I think I'm coveting your magic boards. Did you get them from MLC? I've got that window open (have for two days) trying to decide which ones to buy first, since I can't just up and get it all in one shot! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!