Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Let's talk about Football

Photobucket

I know this seems like an unlikely subject for me. I don't know much about it. I didn't grow up with brothers who played football(my brothers played soccer and tennis). I have never gotten into watching football games on t.v. and up until this year, none of my boys have played football...so when Ben decided last spring that he was going to play Freshman football this fall, we thought, "Hmm...that will be an interesting and new experience for us." He practiced through the summer. Reminder: It's REALLY hot here in the summer! How they could get those boys out there to run and sweat and do push-ups and whatever else they did, is beyond me. Then a few weeks ago they got their helmets and pads, etc. This was a big deal, as up until this time they have just been practicing in their uniformed black shorts and white t-shirts, white socks and football cleats. I got the feeling that putting on all the "stuff" added a new level of grunting. Kind of like soldiers training with all of their gear. I think it weeded out a few more kids. This is what happens with football...you don't get kicked off the team, you get weeded out by the workouts.

Last night we went to our first game: Poston vs. Smith. They played at Skyline, which, by the way, is WAY the heck out there!! I should not have chosen this night to explore the new 202 S freeway as a means of getting there quicker. The score was 0-0 for most of the game, then around 4 1/2 minutes to go (which means 30 in real time), Poston scored their first touchdown (I almost said "goal", that's how little I know.). They missed the extra point making the score 6-0. They got one more touchdown with the extra point this time ending the game at 13-0. I spent a good amount of time looking for #34, that's Ben's #. He was one of 30-40 players standing on the sidelines for the 2 1/2 hour game. He missed Saturday's practice for our annual ward camp out...so that scratched him from the game last night. He has never played football until this summer. I don't know if he will ever set foot on the field to actually play in a game. So, this brings me to the question: Why do these boys go out for the football team, knowing that the majority of them will never play in a game?? I don't really get it. The water boys get more action than the majority of the football players. Is it a love for the game?? Being on a team?? I was thinking about this as I drove Ben to school yesterday morning. All the football players wore their jerseys to school. As Ben got out of the car near the portables a smallish, guessing 7th grade boy said, "Hey, Football Guy." Was there a little admiration in his voice...a little awe, maybe? (Ben didn't hear it. I asked him later.) Did that make it all worth it? To wear the jersey at school where everyone was an equal and none of the kids see who is on or off the field, you're just ON the team?...I don't know.

I have to admit, that I am partial to running. Everyone on the team runs. No one stands on the sideline after practicing all week with the team. Some of my favorite moments from Jon-Erik's years of running cross-country and track have been the wins and close runs with rivals of course, but I'll also remember the young man who came in last at the Doug Conely Invitational in Tempe a few years ago. Cross Country spectators stay 'til the last man comes in. You might have thought in this particular race that this young many came in first with the encouraging cheers and applause that came from the sidelines. Maybe he had to work even harder than the guy who came in first. He wasn't a natural born runner, but he was out there...DOING IT. That was one of those moments that made my eyes well up. If you have ever tried to run, let alone run in this blasted AZ heat...it is HARD!! But it doesn't stop people from doing it. (A personal side note: It has kept me from putting my running shoes on, though.) With running, there is a place, even for the underdog...

So back to football for a second...I loved seeing Ben in his uniform. It was fun to see the boys play. Congrats to Poston on their win. By the end of the season I may have a few jersey numbers memorized. I hope Ben gets to play sometime in the season...that's what he's there for, what he hopes to do, too. But in the meantime, wearing that uniform represents the hours of practice that he and his fellow teammates have put in for months leading up to this first game and what they continue to put in each week during the season. There is a chance that Ben could play. He is fast...but there is a chance that it may not happen, but we'll be at the games either way to cheer the team on. I'm a newbie to being a football mom. We'll see how my feelings evolve. Maybe by the end of the season I'll find a reason to shed a tear or two.
(Sorry no pics from the actual game...I forgot my camera.)

1 comment:

  1. Today is Madelines First football game as a cheerleader,we have done this with each girl,Scott loves the game and I love watching my girls cheer and eating the snacks. Football is awsome!. Does he have a cheerleader that gives him treats?,that could be some of the motivation. Its a great way to be involved. Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!