Thursday, November 26, 2009

I am thankful for...

Just a note on Thanksgiving Day:




Thanksgiving is different this year in some ways. We're staying home. We normally go up to Prescott to celebrate with Brian's brother, Kevin, and his family, but Kevin's wife, Tracy, lost her dad earlier this fall and so she is spending Thanksgiving with her mom. Although we will miss seeing them this year, our hearts and prayers go out to Tracy, her family, her mom and siblings for their loss this year and the many others who celebrate this season without loved ones. 
But, unlike Christmas, where things can, unfortunately, get confused, there is no mistaking that Thanksgiving is a day for Giving Thanks and one thing that doesn't change is Love of Family and the Turkey Trot. The Nissens are only being represented at the Turkey Trot by one this year...Emma. Next year will be my year, as I do so love the Turkey Trot and it's community-ness. This year my brush with a Turkey will be in the kitchen as we get to be host to family, which we also love.






Emma and her friend, Brittany, getting ready to leave for the Turkey Trot...and my sweet husband, Brian, taking them...

with his 1000 page Truman book, of course, until the race starts...just in case there's a little down time. I offered him my camera, but Truman won out. :-)


So, I am thankful for so much this year, that it is hard for me to even begin to make a list, but somewhere in there is my family & friends (near and far) who continually bless my life, paper towels (a luxury we could not afford for some time),prayer, the Gospel in my life with Christ at it's center, even trials that help me draw closer to the ones I love and remind me that God watches over all and is mindful of each one of us. I know that he is mindful of me. I am reminded of this daily in the little things...even paper towels, which we now have.


Maybe we will see you next year, little salt and pepper shakers left in their box this year in Prescott. Until then...I end with Emma's list of things she is thankful for.

  1. food
  2. God's creations
  3. clothes
  4. Earth
  5. trees (air)
  6. Gospel
  7. life
  8. body
  9. water
  10. family
  11. knowledge
  12. ability to move
  13. Birth
  14. medicine
  15. sight
  16. hearing
  17. challenges
  18. celestial kingdom
  19. friends
  20. teachers
  21. blankets
  22. soap
  23. a home
  24. cars
  25. hands
  26. feet
  27. mouth
  28. ears
  29. eyes
  30. nose
  31. and each and everyone of our differences
  32. talents
  33. Eternity

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving Day with love, from me!

P.S. I just found out that Emma and Brittany got all pumped up to run the 10K instead of the 2 mile run!

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you land was woundering what you were doing for Thanksgiving. Sounds like you had a good day. I am Thankful for you, your family and our friendship that I know is always there...thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought I responded to this post! Perhaps it was a FB comment... I was just wondering, have I ever told you how thankful I am... for YOU??? Well Maria my friend, I am so grateful for you, and feel so blessed to have you in my life :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!