Tuesday, March 17, 2009

David Archuleta

Part 1:
My brother, Andy, works for Coca-Cola and with that job comes many fun perks, like going to Coke sponsored events, etc. So, recently he sent me a couple of photos of him with 2 of this year's American Idol contestants from the Top 13 post show get together that he got to go to. I thought, "Hey this will be a fun thing to put on my blog...thanks, Bro for helping me spice things up a bit." About 20 minutes later, my brother called me up and told me, "By the way...don't put those on your blog." How could he know?!? I told him, "I can't even live vicariously through you!! You ruin all of my 45 year old fun!" He did not budge. That stubborn gene runs through our whole family's swedish blood.

Part 2:
This past weekend we had our semi-annual Stake Conference at church. We were told Sunday morning that the special speaker for the youth fireside that evening would be David Archuleta. I admit that my first thought wasn't how fun it would be to see David Archuleta, but of my brother, Andy, and my previously lost blog opportunity. Does it surprise anyone to know that a great majority of the audience was girls? It was fun just observe their enthusiasm for his imminent arrival. He finally came in a little after 7 p.m. sandwiched safely between President Robinson and President Wright, our Stake president. He looked like such a little guy. He IS a little guy! He seemed young and a little nervous. He was very cute. He sang 3 hymns, "I am a child of God" (lucky me-one of my favorites), "Be Still My Soul"(one of his favorites, when asked) and he ended with an a cappella rendition of "How Great Thou Art".

In between the songs he answered questions that had been submitted ahead of time. My favorite question/answer had to have been, "What do you look for in an eternal companion?" Little snickers from the audience and then he proceeded to give his own personal philosophy on dating a lot before you can really know what it is you are looking for in an eternal companion. You have to know what's out there. He used the Pizza Analogy: "If you had only ever tasted the little personal sized pizza you can get at 7-Eleven, you might think that that is the BEST pizza in the world and might not venture to look around any more, but if you tried Little Ceasar's or Papa John's, you might find a pizza that you like even more. You might even one day, go to Italy and try a real pizza." It was a very lengthy response and very humorous, but I think the point was, "He's not ready to find an eternal companion now, but when he is he'll probably go to Italy to get a really good one." :-)

Knowing that ALL of those people in the audience wanted their picture taken with David, they set up a reception line of sorts in one of the adjacent rooms and filed people through...quickly. He was a good sport. It took over an hour. I went through with my little group, took my two little friends home and went back to take pictures of everyone else who was still left in line. He was a very nice guy. He seemed like he was still a little shell-shocked by all of the fuss and attention, but very sweet.

I loved how he was introduced; not as a famous person, but as an Eagle Scout, a young man who, roller-blading through his neighborhood, would often stop and help someone in need. He was especially loved by the widows in his ward because he would go over to their house and serenade them. What a refreshing role model.

Here are some of the photos from Sunday...The rest can be found here.

Ben was just in front of us.
Photobucket
Someone grabbed my camera and must have turned on the "gravity" function by mistake based how droopy my eyes look in all of these. Funny thing, though, it only seemed to affect me. Hmm...so strange. Oh, hold on a second...I'm not immune to that anymore, I'm in my 40's!
Photobucket
I promise that I am NOT goosing him. I do not know what happened here...hurry go on to the next one. It's the most normal.
Photobucket
The one below made me laugh. When I saw it, I thought, "Yeah, if I was an 18 year old boy, I would ignore the "MOM" standing next to me, too!" That's o.k., David. I understand. Gabi is pretty cute. :-)
Photobucket
Below is Adam. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Adam made it look like he was the main guy!
Photobucket

Adam is also an opportunist. Early on, they asked David to stop doing autographs in order to keep the line moving. That didn't deter Adam. He managed to go through the line FOUR times! I guess you can get away with that when you're little. I finally stopped including him in the group photos, cropping him right out of the picture. Sorry little man. He was a little man on a mission, however...an Autograph Mission. Here is Adam making his move...
Photobucket

Photobucket
Way to be persistent, Adam. Mission accomplished: 7 autographs for his friends.

Last but not least...One last shot of David. Thanks for a fun evening and most of all for your beautiful music and good example and thanks for bringing a little excitement to our little corner of world here in Mesa.
Photobucket

Post Script: O.K., little brother, I guess I don't need your American Idol photos, after all.



16 comments:

  1. Very fun post. I'm actually completely overwhelmed with pictures from the whole weekend with that cute little David. I don't know where to begin, and it's definite that my pictures aren't half as good as yours! I will send your link to him through Kendra. He'll get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Maria! I will have to forward this to Vanessa Harries who, of course, wants to marry David! Great pictures - love the expression on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maria your play-by-play story and all your pictures are just adorable! Loved it! (and way to go Adam!) The close-up of David at the end is just darling too!

    Meg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By FAR the most entertaining blog!
    I want him to come to MY stake conference!
    He looks sooooo tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this post! i was wondering, would you mind if i linked your blog and posted your pictures at snarkyarchies.com? you have some beautiful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures and your story about David! Thank you so much for sharing!! We have posted it on our site at www.archuletaavenue.com. If you are not okay with that, just let me know and I will remove it. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing this!!awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this funny and wonderful story and all those awesome pictures.

    I posted a tiny tiny selection of 5 pics on my website and of course linked to your blog and to your photo gallery. Please let me know if there's a problem with that. Thanks!

    Also, if you would grant me/us (see above) permission to post more of your awesome pictures, that'd be fabulous! :)

    Have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops! My website is www.archuletafansgermany.com - sorry, forgot to add that to my previous comment! hahaha XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so great to see this side of David is for real. He really is the nice humble guy he always seemed to be. That is a lot of pictures he had to smile for, pretty good sport I'd say. Loved how you ended the pizza analogy. Very cute. Thanks for posting this story :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a refreshing young man. I'm so glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOOWEE! How Fun!! You sure seem to have lots of adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your pictures turned out really good! I wish you would have taken my group's picture! I love that last picture of David, and I was just wondering... are you going to be making copies of that for the neighborhood groupies?:) Some friends and I would like a copy!
    -Cassidy Brown

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just attended one of his concerts here in southern cali. He was incredible and Tori is right my Vanessa is smitten. We would love a photo of him,you take great pictures. Let me know if we can get on. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I'm Clair from the Philippines and I'm a huge fan of David Archuleta. I watched him since his audition in AI7, and from that very moment, I told myself that David would be big someday. Not only because of his amazing talent, but also because of being HIM. I mean, he's so generous, down-to-earth person, for me he's a role model to look up to, by the youth all over the world. =)

    You're very lucky, to meet him in person :)

    Have a good day, Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was very entertaining!... you had me in giggles... it was great!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!