Saturday, March 28, 2009

Elton John & Billy Joel

It started with a birthday wish. My dad turned 70 this month and in honor of his birthday he took his three kids and my mom to the Elton John & Billy Joel concert this past week. First of all "Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you a lot." AND "Thank you so much for such a fun concert!" Am I a lucky girl or what?!?

Photobucket

Photobucket


Elton John & Billy Joel Concert
I met my parents and brothers in down town. We all took the Light Rail down from our respective ends of town. It almost made me feel like I was in New York again. I highly recommend it.

Photobucket

It was like getting 2 concerts in one. They played for 3 1/2 hours...first together, then Elton alone, then Billy alone and then they finally ended the concert together with "Piano Man".

You can't even imagine the roar of the crowd when these two music legends walked out on stage. It was deafening. They were each incredible on the piano. Each song brought back memories of my growing up years. Billy Joel dedicated the song, "Zanzibar" to one of his heros who happened to be there that night, Mohammed Ali.

I brought my camera, unsure if they would let it in. They checked my bag and told me I couldn't bring in a water bottle...said nothing about my camera. Yeah! I hurried and drank my water and went in before they changed their mind.

Here are some photos from the concert:

Photobucket
As you can see, the concert was sold out.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our seats were about 2/3 back on stage left side of the Center, about 1/2 way up the bottom section. All of these photos were taken from our seats with my 18-200mm lens and then cropped. I sat there wondering if I could get a little closer. Finally I decided to go for it. I walked with purpose to the first entrance and marched right down the stairs as if I belonged down there. I found myself on the floor very close to the sound boards to the right of the stage. I balanced my elbows on the rail and snapped about 8 quick photos before the security guard told me I couldn't do that. It was worth it. On the way back, 3 more security guards stopped me and asked me which entrance I came in from. They had their eye on me now. This was one of my shots from down front.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Can't wait until my dad turns 75! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I am the first to comment. Maria, you do a great job with your blog and I loved this one. Great pictures (can't believe you got them so clear when it was so dark) and great description of our outing. I love you too very much.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why wait to 75? Why not 71? ...:o)

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW!!! I'm sooooooo excited for you that you got to go to such an AMAZING concert with two such AMAZING legends!!! And what cool parents to want to go - happy birthday to your adorable dad!!!

    I had to go to Photo Bucket to see your pics since they would not show up on your blog... not sure why... but loved every photo. I saw both these guys years ago and gosh are they fabulous entertainers - and everyone on earth knows all their songs which is so fun. 3 1/2 hours of fun..... unbelievable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH! That is my dream to get to see the two of them together. I have seen Elton John quite a few times as he was my all time favorite in school and is still listed as favorite artist. I just LOVE his concerts. But to get to see the two of them together is just AWESOME!!!! Your pictures look great! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a girl - you march right up and get what you want. I had to laugh as you told about going up to the stage - just like you belonged there. I love your blodness. You got some fun pictures. I am sure you had a great time and made lasting memories with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Very cool you got to go with your family AND sneaking down to get a better photo...such a rebel :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!