Monday, May 9, 2011

Flagstaff: Simon's Choir Concert


This past weekend, my parents, Emma, Brian and I went up to Flagstaff. Shrine of Ages, a choir that Simon sings in, had their final concert in a beautiful old Catholic Church. 
The acoustics were, of course, amazing, so all of the beautiful choir voices floated through the air and filled every nook and cranny of the chapel. I used Brian's iPhone to take photos for fun. Unfortunately, because I was new to the iPhone, I didn't realize that I wasn't saving the photos as I was taking the next one, so all of my best work got away! I tried to recreate some of them and I will add those later, but thankfully, I had my 'ol Trusty with me, too, so I will post those here now.

Simon and the choir after his piece
 The choir performed a piece that Simon had composed this semester. It had 3 movements and was based on 3 Swedish poems about man and the earth. They sang in Swedish, which was fun for my parents. The piece was impressive and the audience must have thought so too as they gave him a standing ovation. We were all so proud of him. Simon is majoring in Choral Educationn at NAU. He's just finishing his second year.

 It was actually a little chilly after the concert. Emma snagged a coat to wear, making Simon's friend, Cory, her new favorite "brother".

Emma, creating her own Picasso
As we pulled into Flagstaff, we stopped to eat at Picazzo's, a gourmet pizza place that we all like. The grown-ups decided to go "healthy" and get the whole wheat cracker crust. This was a grave mistake. All we could taste was the crust. The grown-ups looked longingly at Emma's pepperoni pizza with white doughy crust.

The evening was complete with a 2 for 1 stop at Cold Stone Creamery. We always get the same thing: Banana ice cream with brownie mix-in. I have yet to grow tired of it.
This made up for the pizza!

Downtown Flagstaff...


My little papa.
Babbits sells crunchy outdoorsy stuff. I could definitely plunk down some cash at this place.
Not a big bumper sticker fan, but I DO like this one.

Window shopping at small boutiques is fun...especially when it involves shoes.
Baxter Black, a very friendly, cool, XXL Black Lab, therapy dog we met while strolling the city.
This dapper dresser added a colorful touch.

Great concert, great food (almost), great company, great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I look like I want to punch someone really hard in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. That was really me, not dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. What an awesome post Maria! First off, just hearing what Simon has achieved blew me away - way to go Simon! Outstanding! It certainly sounds like he deserved every bit of that standing ovation - I bet you guys were so proud! And I bet it DID sound amazing with all those acoustics!

    Flagstaff is so cool - I had no idea! Your pics are great! Love those adorable shoes too! And of course Baxter Black :) And your dapper model looks like he was MORE than happy to pose for you, hehe :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!