Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hiking Camelback Mountain

We decided to hike Camelback Mountain on New Year's Day. We got there around 2 p.m.-ish. We were definitely not alone on the mountain. Brian was kind enough to get in line to park and let the rest of us start hiking. We went in two groups: Jon-Erik, Benjamin, Adam and then Emma and me. It was a perfect afternoon for some local hiking! 

Here we are, just starting out.
Photobucket
Do you notice the tiny people towards the bottom left of this photo? Just to give you some perspective. The entire hike is only about 1 1/4 mile up to the top and takes anywhere from 45-60 minutes if you are in average shape. The boys made it up in less time.
Photobucket

Don't let this scare you. There are handrails to help you climb.

Photobucket
You get rewarded along the way with the views and interesting things to look at, people to greet. ("Mom, stop talking to strangers!")

Photobucket
Does anyone else see a dog here? Or a nose, or something? 

Photobucket
This is a really ancient looking cactus about halfway up. It looks so hammered and yet there it stands, stoically marking the path. Since I'm taking a photoshop class this semester, I've decided to start collecting textures and this cactus has the most "tree-like" looking trunk texture. I think this is what a wrinkled cactus looks like.
Photobucket

We also ran into Jon-Erik and the boys around here on their way down.
(A little bright, but it was the only picture I had of them and poor Brian got nothing!)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Emma and I finally made it. Waiting for us up at the top were 24 people, 5 butterflies and another festively decorated tree (really a bush).

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know this is smog, but it made for a beautiful additiont to the sun skimming across this section of Phoenix in the late afternoon.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I should mention that Emma and I met Brian just as we were leaving the top. We waited for him to touch the top and then we hiked down together. I just love this hike! I'm up for it any time, just give me a call and 'Let's Go!' :-)


5 comments:

  1. I might have to take you up on that... I have some baby weight I need to lose. What photoshop class are you taking this semester??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Maria! I loved the hike -- thanks for being our guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just let me know when they install a rope tow and I'll be on my way........... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! You make me want to go hiking so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog and interesting pictures.
    Regards from Baske Country(Spain)

    Luismi

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!