Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hiking Shaw Butte Mountain

The only thing that's really noteworthy about Shaw Butte Mountain is that it is the little mountain that I could see from the house that I grew up in in North Phoenix. It's a nice little hike that anyone can enjoy, not too strenuous, no climbing involved...well, you climb in elevation, but not with your hands AND your feet like Camelback Mountain, just your feet. Pretty relaxing as far as hikes go. On the day after Christmas several of us hiked to the top.

Photobucket

Photobucket
My brother, Andy with Hannah. Andy lived in Sweden for 18 years after he graduated from the U of A. He and his family moved to CA two years ago. We love having them closer. Having been away that many years, Andy is very nostalgic about this area. This is Andy's fake serious face.

Photobucket
One of the things I like about hiking around Christmas is that you find little holiday reminders along the way. Isn't this a cute Santa?

Photobucket
One of many ornaments decorating this big bush.
Photobucket
Not afraid of us.

As we approached the top, my brother James leans over to me and quietly says, "Watch Andy, he's going to go stand near that edge over there, hold his arms out, and say, "Mi Bario"". So I have my camera ready, waiting to see if it happens. As soon as we get to the top, Andy walks over to the appointed place and does exactly as James said he would. He does it EVERY time we hike this mountain. I love this photo of him proclaiming his love for his "Barrio".
Photobucket

Photobucket
My brothers. They're great. I'm so lucky. They make me laugh.

Photobucket
Emma and Hannah at the top. The rest of them made it to the top before we did, so I never had a chance to document their climb.

Photobucket
On our way down. Can you tell which one is me?

Photobucket
This is Arizona. It has it's charm, doesn't it? I actually thought of my friend, Meg, when I later looked at the saguaro. Doesn't it look like a peace sign? Come on, take your right hand and do the peace sign with your palm facing you. Can you see it?! I can see it. I bet Meg can, too. :-) Next stop: Pizza over at James' and Christine's house. We had worked up a little appetite.

4 comments:

  1. This mom's and my favorite little mountain. I couldn't make that hike but what the heck, I can look at the great pictures ... :o)

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,I loved the pictures even if I was not in them.

    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you just crack me up! Yes, my friend, I see the peace sign - it's totally groovy! And totally groovy that you thought of me :)

    Loved all the pics - especially the little turtle dove, and of course, "Mi Barrio"! What a cute story. Great pics, great story telling Maria - as always :)

    Meg
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Your life is so full of adventure.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!