Monday, January 19, 2009

Salsa recipe

Photobucket

     I first tasted this salsa at our block party last fall and fell in LOVE with it. In fact I kind of hovered around the food table as the party was wrapping up and noticed that the owner of the salsa had already left, so I gladly took home her leftovers (I'm not kidding when I say I have a thing for food...I will go to embarrassing lengths sometimes to get it, keep it, hide it...whatever. I admit I have a problem. Maybe if I joke about it, it won't seem like such a big deal).  I finally got the recipe from Venice, my good neighbor and now my refrigerator is hardly ever without a jar of this salsa. The recipe fits perfectly in a quart jar with some to enjoy right away.
     I call it Venice's Salsa Recipe, since I got it from her. It is not spicy, but you can spice it up with a little jalapeno pepper, if you want to.

Venice's Salsa Recipe
2 cans Mexican Stewed tomatoes
1 can chopped green chiles
1 bunch chopped green onions, I will sometimes use red onions if I have them.
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro (more or less, depending on your taste for cilantro)
1 clove garlic,  chopped
1 fresh tomato (This is my addition to Venice's recipe)
1 tsp. cumin
2 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt, pepper to taste
Juice of 1-2 limes, depending on size

Best part: Put it all in your blender with fresh ingredients on the bottom and turn on your blender until it's mixed, but not overly mixed and pure'ed, but it's pretty thin. This is not a chunky salsa. That's it. The Mexican stewed tomatoes are sometimes hard to find, but I can almost always find them at Fry's. Thank you, Venice.




3 comments:

  1. Yeah!... is this the salsa i was practically drinking at your house.... thanks for sharing.. it is so good! can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making your Salsa and thinking of you....this stuff is so Yummy!... thanks again for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!