Thursday, October 9, 2008

Emma-Lost and Found

I've always loved my neighborhood but last night I learned what kind of heart my neighborhood really has: 

 I was out with the Young Women in our ward (congregation) for softball.  I stopped by home afterwards to pick up some treats to take  over to a couple of grandmas who the YW have "adopted". Emma decided she wanted to come with me, so I took her along. I saw Ben playing on the computer. I guess I thought that because I saw him that he also saw me and saw Emma go with me.  I had Amber and Lorelei with me also. None of us had our cell phones.  We visited a little with each Grandma. We were gone a little longer than we expected, but I had no idea what was  happening at home. At 8:45 p.m. I received a concerned phone call from Sharon, who lives around the corner.  She asked if Emma was with me and was relieved to find out that she was. She informed me that the whole neighborhood had been out looking for her for about an hour. Brian had also finally called the police.  I felt horrible that we had worried so many people. But I was also overwhelmed and touched by everyone's concern and the incredible networking that went on in a short amount of time. As I pulled into the neighborhood, someone that I didn't even know pulled along side me and asked if "they had found the little girl yet". I just want to publicly thank my wonderful neighbors/neighborhood for dropping everything to look for our "missing" little girl.  Emma and I both cried as we pulled into our driveway; relieved that she was safe and overwhelmed by the outpouring of love from all of the good people around us. I hope something like this never happens again, but I know that we are surrounded by people who care if it does.  The world is still a good place filled with lots of good people.    

2 comments:

  1. Hello There, this blogging is so much fun. Alex got me set up and I would like to add you to my friends. Its great to see your family great photos, Vanessa enjoyed seeing Simon, Post my blog when you get a chance it harrieshappenings.blogspot.com Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! This story made me want to cry. What a wonderful neighborhood! Thanks for going with me to the PUG meeting tonight! It sure made me a lot more comfortable knowing someone!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!