Tuesday, February 17, 2009

41... "UN-Believable!!"

Photobucket
41 single, non-matching socks in our mismatched sock pile. Yes, "UN-believable!" is what we can expect to hear from Brian when he does laundry and gets to the socks. He even goes so far as to count the socks without matches...because it really is "UN-believable" how many there are. He has actually stopped counting now, because it's beyond "Un-believable". I have been wanting to post about this for some time, because it has been a problem at our house for FOREVER! Admitting the problem in some cases can help you solve it, but in our case I think we just need to start all over. I'm just waiting for everyone's feet to be the same size, then it's out with the old and bring in the new AND we cannot care about socks with personality. They're ALL going to be  the SAME. No more colored socks, no more stripes, no more crew vs. ankle. NO MORE! It is ALL about function. If you see my boys wearing athletic socks to church, you'll know why. Wait! If they're wearing socks at all, that's actually a miracle!

Photobucket
Good-bye cute pink socks with little hearts.

The thing is, we used to care somewhat about matching. We would at least try to find another white sock to go with the white sock in our hand...then we stopped caring about colors all together, so long as they kind of fit and were clean. As can be seen in this recent photo of Adam at the City Meet, we don't even care if they're a similar style! Just give me a sock, please!!

Photobucket

I took Adam to the doctor on Monday. First he grabs Ben's shoes (because they're easier to put on. That's because they're too big!) When we get to the doctor's office, I look down and can only see one of Adam's socks, so I ask him if he's only wearing one sock. No, he's wearing two, just one is really small, so it can't be seen. As we leave the doctor's, I sheepishly confess that I only have one sock on myself that morning. None of us is immune! I have to laugh about this, because it's the only way to survive it. If your children leave socks at our house...I'm really sorry. Chances of them surviving as a couple...very,very slim. Ultimately,they're only adding to our confusion.

On a good note:  Adam's socks seemed to have served him well at the City meet, because he came in 5th in the 800 against the other 7th graders in the City. Technically, he's still 6th grade age since he skipped a grade, so he did really well. Way to go Adam. Ben did great, too. He took 1st in the 400 and his relay team came in 2nd. Love to watch my kids run, no matter what kind of socks they're wearing or not wearing.

Photobucket

By the way...if you think any of the socks in this post belong to anyone in your family...please come and get them. And hurry!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, oh Maria that is just TOO FUNNY! And I loved the pics of all those orphan socks! Hysterical! I think disappearing socks are one of the mysteries of life. I don't know of anyone who doesn't have that problem - except one family who uses those huge diaper pins to pin their sock pairs together (they must have a very small family!). All our socks are the same style but each of us has a different color so we know who's who.... we still end up with orphans though!

    Congrats to the boys for doing so well at their meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi maria. this post made my day....so funny. i love the picture of adam with one crazy sock on! very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny stuff Maria - just this morning Ethan crawled out of bed with one sock on - he is my one that could ware whatever-one off, miss mach -it doesn't matter. Hannah takes off her sockes the minute she is in the house - so they are laying around everywhere - but always in pairs. Anyone with kids has to laugh at this post. thanks!
    I love Adam's one high sock. Good running boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up!!! I can't believe this post! You have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria, I have no idea if you remember me or not, I used to babysit your kids until you guys moved away, oh gosh 7 years ago? I don't mean to "stalk" your blog. I found it off of Megan's blog and your photography is great! I love it. I hope all is well with your family! They are all so grown up! Especially Emma! Oh my goodness. I just remember trying to feed her bottles and then me crying becuase I couldn't get her to stop crying ha. Anyways, I've enjoyed your reading your blog :) Oh yeah and my old last name used to be Bingham, incase you couldn't recognize me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha...I never thought to count up all the "orphans" but I bet we have as many! Honestly...where do they all go?!? Love the photos! Hope to see you at the PUG meeting tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has to be my new alltime favorite post...I keep a drawer full of singles, and a drawer full of pairs...when it's slim pickins in the pair drawer we do our best to find similar socks and we're all sharing socks these days...I LOVE when Jimmy wears the girls no-see ballet socks:) I actually had a plumber's daughter tell me that the socks get sucked out through the water pipe in the washer...Tim couldn't believe me, but, now that we lost one of his biking gloves I think he's starting to think there might be something to it! You are SO talented! I wish I had been at your workshop...the only bad thing about your blog is that it makes me wish we were neighbors again!! Thanks for sharing!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you blogged about this and included those fabulous pictures! I needed a good laugh this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! We all need to hear that we are not the only ones with sock issues! Yours just look way more cute and colorful and funny the way you present things:). I hope you got my invite! I love all your pics:).

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!