Wednesday, February 4, 2009

N.I.L.M.D.T.S.

     On the 26th of January, I attended a training workshop for  NILMDTS, a wonderful organization that was founded by two women who were brought together by a tragic event.  Please check out the website here. After I learned about it last year, I felt like it was something that I wanted to do. I like how our trainer put it, that it's her "heart work".  I went together with my friends, Lynn and Jo. We learned that there are about 6000 photographers volunteering  for NILMDTS worldwide. Of course they need more volunteers. There are many ways to volunteer other than actually doing the photography. If you'd like more information, I'd be happy to give it to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Just to remind us we were in AZ, this little Roadrunner kept staring at his reflection in the window behind our trainer, Deb Wat, and was quite the little distraction. I suppose I was a little distracting, too, by trying to take his photo in the middle of the presentation. Sorry about that, Deb. She did a great job with the all day workshop. She shared some personal experiences with the her photo sessions for the organization and the only words I can think of to describe them are "sacred" and "tender".

Photobucket
This is Lynn. I can't imagine her without a smile. She is fun to be around. Her grown-up kids call her Cosmic Mama. They got that right!

Photobucket
Here we are (Jo, me & Lynn). I grabbed seasoned photographer, Michele Celentano to take a picture of the three of us after the session. I got the giggles when she asked us to lean together and lean forward. I loved her take charge attitude. Thanks, Michelle. I finally got a grip.
Photobucket
It was a good day. Google NILMDTS for more information. Grab a kleenex when you do.

4 comments:

  1. Maria, I didn't know you were part of NILMDTS! That's awesome. I was going to tell you about this organization. I keep looking into because I WANT to do it but then I just start bawling. I don't think I can handle it emotionally...at least not quite yet. It takes really strong photographers to do this for someone. Of course, I immediately thought of you as one of those.
    Maybe someday I'll be able to help a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I could've done this while I was still having my children. I am just starting out with them, so I don't really know what I am capable of yet. I just know that there is such a need, so I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you laughing! You are so beautiful Maria! Thanks for letting me tag along with ya! Ya, maybe after I'm done having all my kids I can do something like this. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Maria. Wow. What an amazing organization. I know how much something like this would mean to me if I were in that situation. You are amazing to be a part of it.

    And I *adore* the pic of you laughing :)

    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!