Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chaz, the flutist

Chaz is 16 and started playing the flute when he was in grade school like many other kids. Someone realized that he had a gift and in 8th grade, he started taking private lessons. He currently attends the Arizona School for the Arts. Our family had the privilege of seeing Chaz perform at the Mesa Arts Center last month as part of NPR's nationally broadcast 'From the Top with host Christopher O'reilly'. The concert we saw will broadcast on KBAQ 89.5 FM on Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 7pm. That's quite a ways out, but I will send out a reminder. It is so worth listening to. 'From The Top' features young musicians between the ages of 12-18 who are exceptional at their instruments. While I photographed Chaz, he played his flute for me. I hated for our session to be over. His playing was so beautiful. What a talent!  
I also enjoyed collaborating with Brian. The first photo will appear in a printed ad in one of NPR's publications, which I included at the bottom. Here are a few from our shoot. I really wanted to have a sample of Chaz playing, but I cannot figure out how to upload it (Email me and I'll send it to you. Just put CHAZ in the subject.) In the meantime, if you'd like to hear the caliber of musicians on the show, click here.  Then click on 'Listen Now'. The show airs on Sunday evenings at 7 p.m. on 89.5 FM
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Special thanks to Roger Fowkes for his help on this ad.

3 comments:

  1. Mom and I love your blogs and exciting subjects.It fun to read about success stories like the one about Chaz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, great work Maria! And what an inspiring boy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!