Monday, December 1, 2008

Remembering Henry

     When we first met Henry, his name was Buddy. Bringing Henry home with us was an impulsive decision. I was picking Emma up from a birthday party and Henry was sitting in his cage by the front door. I commented on him and was then asked if we wanted him. I said, "Yes!" before I could stop myself. We are not really animal people. We just barely got a dog 3 years ago. Henry came with everything...cage, food, house, exercise wheel, bedding. For a rodent, he was pretty cute. He was a fluffy angora type hamster. Emma was in second grade. Her teacher, Mrs. Kemp, was a big animal lover and would look for opportunities to reward the kids with a visit from a pet. Henry was a popular visitor to Mrs. Kemp's class. I felt very popular as I carried Henry's cage across the playground to the car at the end of the day. 
He was a kid magnet.

     Not long ago, I began to notice that Henry was slowing down. I had learned that hamsters only live about 2 years. We had had him since last September and we were told he was about 8 months then. He wandered around his cage today like a very old man. I had a feeling inside. Even though I was expecting it, it still hit me when I found him in his little tube. I knew he was gone. It was very sad. Henry is our first pet to die. We enjoyed him. I have nothing but good things to say about him. He was undemanding and low maintenance as far as pets go...a very friendly little fella. Henry gets a little funeral tomorrow. Here are a few pictures of Henry when he first joined our family. Good-bye, Henry.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


5 comments:

  1. Maria, I'm so sorry to hear about Henry. He was a cute little guy and the pictures of him are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry was so cute -- I'm sure your family will miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. redcapriMaria
    Sorry to hear about Henry. We had 2 hammsters
    when the boys were little and loved them. I cried
    like a baby when they died. I wonder what i will
    do when our cats go.

    Say Hi to the family

    Lisa & Craig Frey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria you know how tenderhearted I am about animals. This post nearly did me in! Bless Henry for being such a good boy and giving your family his sweet little love. And bless you for taking him into your home. What an adorable little guy - I'm sure you will all miss him :)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that makes me want one! Poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!