Monday, November 3, 2008

Trick or Treating

I have very warm feelings regarding Halloween.  We moved into our house in October, six years ago.  Three weeks later we went trick or treating in our new neighborhood with most of our children and my parents. Homes were lit up with decorations, people were set up in their driveways waiting for trick-or-treaters, the neighborhood was filled with people, walking down the side walk, criss-crossing the street, greeting one another. We felt embraced and included...just what we needed. I got the feeling that for this neighborhood, Halloween was a neighborhood tradition, an event. On Halloween night, it feels like old fashioned, small town America. I loved it then and look forward to it every year. Aside from taking our usual route around the neighborhood, the evening is not complete without a stop at the Moore's for homemade donuts (for the grown-ups only!) and the last stop is always the Millers for hotdogs and homemade chilli. It's a great place to live. 

Photobucket
This year my almost 2 year old niece joined us with her mom and dad. I wish I had gotten her standing as her little legs are goble-icious.

Photobucket
Emma and her friend, Jeffery. Emma always feels a little self-conscious having her picture taken with Jeffrey because he has brought her flowers, which makes Emma feel like Jeffrey has a crush on her. We are big Jeffrey fans at our house, so if one day...well, we'll have plenty of photos of them growing up together.

Photobucket
I had to take a picture of this costume. I could tell that this boy had worked hard on it and thought out the details...everything from the trash bin, to the donation cup, to the light on the top. Great job, "Box Man".

Photobucket
He got a lot of attention.

Photobucket
Last, but not least, Linda's wonderful homemade donuts. I start salivating about 2 houses down from her house, just knowing that they are just steps away. Thanks, Linda for sharing every year.

2 comments:

I love your comments!